Thursday, April 10, 2014

Interior Inspirations

How often have we heard the lectures about builder's beige?  Or keep it neutral for resale value?  Or don't put anything too personal into the décor?  People = enjoy your homes, showcase your creativity and live your lives.  When it comes time to sell, you can paint some rooms white at that time - but not until then.  In the meantime, do something special!   Truth is, the new owner will personalize and change everything you do anyway.  As soon as I got the keys to this house, I ripped out 3,000 SF of brand new white shag carpeting because it just wasn't what I wanted.  The previous owner wasted thousands of dollars at the realtors recommendation to 'update' the house to sell - - I just happened to come along after it happened.  I would have rather they knocked $2k off the price and let me do my own floors, which I did anyway.

A few years ago, my dining room ceiling was chocolate brown and I loved it!  Now it is sky blue.  For $20 in paint, I can change my rooms with the seasons if I want to.  I had a pool table in my dining room for many years and my realtor said people wouldn't understand the room.  My stance was that if people weren't smart enough to know it was a dining room - they didn't deserve to live in my beautiful house.  We all spend a lot of money on our homes - enjoy it while you're there!   Do what you love.  Worry about all that other stuff .... later. 

As Scarlet O'Hara said - "I'll think about that tomorrow!"

No comments:

Post a Comment